Stanford University - Graduate School of Business
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
TOP TEN SEARCHFUNDER POSTS FOR 2020
Our Top 10 posts for 2020 cover the gamut of concerns that searchers face in launching their search fund, hunting for a business to buy, closing the deal on the target and operating their newly acquired company. They also reflect the current economic and social environment in which searchers are trying to accomplish this difficult feat -- the coronavirus pandemic and the #blm social justice movement.
For this list, we looked at posts that were created this year, ranking them by the number of likes and comments. We gave a heavier weighting for each comment. ^[redacted]'s post on his first deal was by far the #1 leader in both likes and comments. Like ^[redacted]'s post, many posts on this list reflect the "pay it forward" ethos of the search fund community -- with those who have benefited from the support of others returning the favor. Our list also contains one of the luminary writers about search funds, ^[redacted].
We look forward to interviewing many of these Searchfunder members in the coming year as part of our Searchfunder Sessions and Searchfunder Ops Sessions live events. For instance, we will hear from ^[redacted] on his Tales from the Trenches: Due Diligence War Stories on February 3rd. Please keep an eye on our events calendar on Searchfunder or LinkedIn for upcoming live stream interviews.
In reviewing the list, the topics have a distinctly USA bent, which is to be expected given that the search fund model started in the United States in the late 1980s and consequently has a better developed infrastructure for the process, including educational programs at prominent US business schools. With the search fund model expanding around the globe at an ever accelerating pace, we expect our best posts to have an increasingly global perspective. Thus, we look forward to what the next year will bring.
In developing our list, we ended up with a tie for tenth place. So, please enjoy these 11 posts:
1. Just Closed on My First Deal! Reflections and Takeaways for other Searchers by ^[redacted] on[redacted]
2. Corona virus for actively searching searchers - what are you doing now? by ^[redacted]on[redacted]
3. Reflections On First Week As CEO by ^[redacted] on[redacted]
- 4. Closing an Acquisition During a Global Pandemic - 3 Month Reflection by ^[redacted] on[redacted]
- 5. List of Due Diligence War Stories - Don't Get Fooled! ^[redacted] by[redacted]
6. Updated: Searching Mid-Career by ^[redacted] on[redacted]
7. Acquired our first company - UpCounsel.com by ^[redacted] on[redacted]
8. #blm & search funds by ^[redacted]on[redacted]
9. Best discount deals that have emerged because of Covid? by ^[redacted] on[redacted]
10. The 9 Criteria for a Search Fund Business by ^[redacted] on[redacted]
10. Are the IBISWORLD reports useful to you? by ^[redacted] on[redacted]
- Wishing you and yours some well-deserved downtime and a very happy new year to come.
^[redacted], ^[redacted] and ^[redacted]
- P.S. If you'd like to see other notable posts type the tag #bestof into the search field in the upper left corner, while you're within the Searchfunder community.