BUSINESS OPERATIONS ASSOCIATE
[redacted] [redacted] [redacted]
This job is designed for a recent undergrad from a top school that's looking to learn from a former McKinsey consultant and searcher, wants a fast track to general manager/managing a team, and loves working among physical offline businesses.
A bit about us:
Since our founding, AMM Fencing has constructed enough fencing to stretch from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe making us today the #1 fence builder in the Tri-Valley area in Northern California. With over 4.5 stars on Yelp across two hundred reviews, our reputation continues to grow.
At its core, AMM Fencing offers a superior product. We take pride as “educators” to listen to our customers and build trust through our knowledge and problem-solving. We take pride in our 15-year guarantee which is two to three times longer than the industry average. And we take pride in our construction quality whether it’s sifting through board-by-board for the best redwood to using the best hardware and building techniques.
Today, AMM Fencing is 30+ people strong, building ~1.5 miles of fencing per week. We have divisions in project coordination, project management/sales, inventory and warehouse management, and seven crews of builders.
Summary of this role:
As a Business Operations Associate, you will report directly to the CEO (ex McKinsey consultant, private equity, and tech product manager). You work hand in hand with our CEO to lead a series of initiatives to position AMM Fencing for its vision to become the #1 fence builder in Northern California. The ideal candidate is someone who wants to tackle ambiguous problems across many business areas, works well with AMM diverse teams across many functions, and embraces technology.
- Example exciting initiatives you will work with our CEO to drive include:
- Leading the digitization effort for our entire core operations from incoming customer lead to project completion and billing. This includes doing a market assessment of SaaS software options, implementing a pilot program, and then roll out to the entire company while measuring progress every step of the way
- Leading business development for new lead channels (e.g. Lowes, Thumbtack, digital and offline ads) and assessing the trade-offs of lead costs and conversion rates
- Leading quarterly planning of capacity both for the sales side team and operational team (e.g. when is the right time to add crews or sales headcount)
- Evaluating opportunities to expand our presence to other geographic areas in Northern California via buying or building and then putting those plans into action
- Evaluating strategies for employee retention for each of our roles such as solidifying company values, looking into benefits plans, etc.
- Creating a KPI dashboard to measure the current pulse of our business (e.g. sales win rates, customer satisfaction rates, revenue per month) and then running monthly business reviews
- Mapping out the company’s core processes and looking for technology or offline solutions (e.g. inventory management, fleet management, payroll and HR, banking, etc.)
- Performing market research into competitor offering, pricing, and operational practices. Attending industry events to understand new product offerings to test in market
- Developing v1 HR best practices including a training program to speed up onboarding time and yearly compensation leveling
- Taking on special projects as required given external factors (e.g. How should we adapt our workforce to COVID? How is the fluctuation in the price of lumber affecting our profitability?)
- This role is based on-site at our Pleasanton, CA headquarters and will start as an individual contributor role with opportunities to build a team in a 1-2 year time frame
- Bachelor’s degree is required from a four-year university; internship or 2+ years of full time experience is a plus
- Has a passion for the operations of offline businesses and/or construction (e.g. you often find yourself aimlessly wandering the isles of Home Depot and enjoy thinking about residential and outdoor construction)
- Has an analytical mindset and approach
- Is disciplined and has a need to apply structure to life
- Communicates accurately, clearly, and effectively
What we offer:
- Competitive base salary with bonus structure tied to company performance
- Direct and regular mentorship from our CEO/General Manager/Owner
- Multiple career path options for promotion within business operations or to AMM’s functional areas (e.g. sales, marketing)
- Company vehicle for business and personal use
- Unlimited paid vacation and major holidays
- Free unlimited beverages and drinks
- Company BBQs and holiday parties