HEAD OF OPERATIONS
[redacted] [redacted] [redacted]
A bit about us:
Since our founding, AMM Fencing has constructed enough fencing to stretch from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe making us today the #1 fence builder in the Tri-Valley area in Northern California. With over 4.5 stars on Yelp across two hundred reviews, our reputation continues to grow.
At its core, AMM Fencing offers a superior product. We take pride as “educators” to listen to our customers and build trust through our construction knowledge and problem-solving. We take pride in our 15-year guarantee which is 2-3 times longer than the industry average. And we take pride in our construction quality whether it’s sifting through board-by-board to source premium redwood to using the best hardware and building techniques.
Today, AMM Fencing is 30+ people strong, building ~1.5 miles of fencing per week. We have divisions in project coordination, project management/sales, inventory and warehouse management, and seven crews of builders.
Summary of this role:
As the Head of Operations, you will report directly to the CEO (ex McKinsey consultant, private equity, and tech product manager). You will lead a series of initiatives to position AMM Fencing for its vision to scale its business throughout Northern California; leading special projects across our operations. The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys tackling ambiguous problems across many business areas, works well with AMM's diverse teams and external advisors across many areas, and embraces technological improvements for physical processes.
- Example exciting initiatives you will drive include:
- Leading the digitization effort for our entire core operations from incoming customer lead to project completion and billing. This includes doing a market assessment of SaaS software options, implementing a pilot program, and then roll out to the entire company while measuring progress every step of the way
- Leading business development for new lead channels (e.g. Lowes, Thumbtack, digital and offline ads) and assessing the trade-offs of lead costs and conversion rates
- Leading quarterly planning of capacity both for the sales side team and operational team (e.g. when is the right time to add crews or sales headcount)
- Evaluating opportunities to expand our presence to other geographic areas in Northern California via buying or building and then putting those plans into action
- Evaluating strategies for employee retention for each of our roles such as solidifying company values, looking into benefits plans, etc.
- Creating a KPI dashboard to measure the current pulse of our business (e.g. sales win rates, customer satisfaction rates, revenue per month) and then running monthly business reviews
- Mapping out the company’s core processes and looking for technology or offline solutions (e.g. inventory management, fleet management, payroll and HR, banking, etc.)
- Performing market research into competitor offering, pricing, and operational practices. Attending industry events to understand new product offerings to test in market
- Developing v1 HR best practices including a training program to speed up onboarding time and yearly compensation leveling
- Taking on special projects as required given external factors (e.g. How should we adapt our workforce to COVID? How is the fluctuation in the price of lumber affecting our profitability?) This role is based on-site at our Pleasanton, CA headquarters and will start as an individual contributor role with opportunities to build a team in the near term
- Has 7+ years of working experience including operational exposure
- Bachelor’s degree is required; an MBA or MBA equivalent experience is a plus (e.g. former consultant)
- Has a passion for offline businesses and construction (e.g. you often find yourself aimlessly wandering around Home Depot and enjoy thinking about residential construction and outdoor construction)
- Can make decisions with incomplete data and takes a test and learn approach
- Breaks existing processes in favor of more effective or appealing ones
- Is disciplined and has a need to apply structure to life
- Has an analytical mindset and approach
- Communicates accurately, clearly, and effectively
What we offer:
- Competitive base salary with bonus structure tied to company performance
- Direct and regular mentorship from our CEO/General Manager/Owner
- Multiple career path options (e.g. COO, General Manager for a future location) and the opportunity to grow to lead multiple functions
- Company vehicle for business and personal use
- Unlimited paid vacation and major holidays
- Free unlimited beverages and drinks
- Company BBQs and holiday parties